Being the klutz I am, I somehow managed to knock down everything off the side of the fridge the other night – magnets, stamps, newspaper clippings, etc. I really don’t know how I manage things like that, but somehow it happened. Thankfully I was able to pick everything up before the cat attacked as I’m sure he would have had a hay day with all those things to play with so easily assecible.
While I was picking everything up, I came across the magnetic clip full of recipes that I cut out from the food section of the newspaper every week or so, but which had been hidden behind ten take out menus to our Thai resturant of choice (they always get our order wrong even though we get food from them at least once a week). I looked through them and seriously found some recipes that are at least 5 years old but I have never made. What I did find was a recipe for seven layer bars. I’ve wanted to make these for soooo long! I swear, I buy graham crackers all the time with the intention of making them, but somehow I’ve never gotten around to it. Well now was my chance!
These are by far some of the easiest bars to make. All you do is layer the ingredients, pop it in the over, and poof, you have yummy gooey delicious bars of joy. Of course, given such a simple recipe, I had to mess up. I was talking on the phone as I made them, so instead of using one stick of butter, I used two, giving me an excess of butter in comparison to how many graham cracker crumbs I had. I simply added extra crumbs to soak up the butter and it was fine.
They could have used 2 less minutes in the over because the coconut was starting to burn by the time I took them out, but they were still so good looking. I cut them into huge sqaures – and a few small ones for me to sample. I took some to hebrew school, along with the thousand other prizes I had picked out for my students, but still almost half of them picked the bars over bubbles, putty, yo-yo’s and a paint your own gnome (They’re a dollar at Target – very cool).
This will from now on be my go to recipe if I ever need to whip up a dessert pretty quickly – 5 minutes prep give or take and just 22-25 minutes in the oven. So easy!
Grade – A
Make Again – Absolutely!
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 cups toasted pecans – I just threw them in the oven a few minutes before adding them to toast lightly
- 2 cups sweetened coconut
- 2 cups sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour the melted butter into the bottom of the dish. Spread the crumbs over the butter and press down firmly.
- Sprinkle butterscotch chips, followed by chocolate chips, followed by pecans, followed by the coconut.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top.
- Bake for 22-28 minutes. Cool to room temperature before cutting. – I cut mine huge!