You know that feeling when it’s 10:30, you’re in the midst of a mound of homework, it’s cold and snowy outside and you just must have a piping hot cup of hot chocolate/something incredibly chocolatey or else the world might just stop? Ya, I know you know what I’m talking about. Somehow, I find myself in this situation often and that was exactly where my roommate and myself found ourselves this evening just as the start of what is hopefully going to be an epic snowstorm begins.
Instead of turning straight to the Swiss Miss box, like we usually do, I opted instead for a microwavable cake. No, not the kind you buy in the box at the store like a Lean Cuisine, but an actual, homemade microwave chocolate cake. Within ten minutes of taking the initiative to eat cake, my roommate and I were sitting in bed eating cake. I decided to add some white chocolate to counter the dark and as my roommate so aptly put it “it was like a guilty pleasure in a poodle mug.” Make sure you keep an eye on the microwave, because it will puff up quickly if you’re not careful. This is now my go to treat when I don’t want to labor at baking a more elaborate treat, and need a quick fix.
5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
(Adapted from Not Quite Nigella)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coffee powder (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons oil (Opted for melted butter instead because I was out of oil)
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips (I used white chocolate)
- A small splash of vanilla extract
1) Mix dry ingredients together.
2) Pour in the egg, milk, oil, chocolate chips or flakes and vanilla extract and mix well.
3) Pour batter evenly between two microwave safe mugs.
4) Do one mug at a time. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 1 minute on medium heat. Let rest for a few moments. Then microwave for another 30 seconds on medium heat.
5) Check on the consistency-it should be cooked but still moist and gooey. If it is still not cooked, microwave on another 30 seconds on medium heat. Remember, it will cook further on standing.
6) Allow to cool a little, then enjoy 🙂