Rice Krispie cereal is one of those cereals that never gets old. Although I don’t buy it too often, I always enjoy eating in whenever I get the chance. The same holds true for rice krispie treats, which makes this timeless cereal that much better by adding a whole bag of melted marshmallows. Clearly, the only way to make this treat any better would be to add possibly my favorite ingredient of all time – coconut. In my opinion, coconut should really go in every dessert treat, but I do understand that sometimes it just doesn’t fit and I restrain myself from adding it to everything. For rice krispie treats though, the more coconut, the better.
I lightly toasted the coconut for a few minutes in the oven first before I added it to the rice krispie and marshmallow mixture. Keep on eye on the roasting coconut though, as it can tend to burn quickly. The toasted coconut brings out the aroma and nuttiness of it of the shreds in my opinion. This is such a simple and easy treat to whip up. It’s light for just a sweet snack and had I had the time to drizzle chocolate over it, it would have made an excellent dinner dessert.
COCONUT RICE KRISPIES
(Adapted from The Craving Chronicles)
- Cooking spray for greasing the pan
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10oz (1 bag) of regular-sized marshmallows
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup toasted shredded coconut
- 3 ounces (about 1/2 cup) bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
1) Line a 9×13 inch pan or baking dish with foil, leaving a few inches of overhang on each side. Grease the foil very well with cooking spray.
2) In a large saucepan or pot, melt butter. Add marshmallows and heat over medium-low heat, stirring until melted. Stir in shredded coconut and coconut extract. Remove from heat. Add Rice Krispies and stir until thoroughly coated.
3) Spread Rice Krispie mixture into prepared pan. With the back of a buttered spatula or using a sheet of waxed paper, press mixture firmly into an even layer. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and press lightly to adhere to the top of the treats.
4) In a small, heatproof and microwave safe bowl, heat the chocolate in the microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir, and return to microwave, heating in 15 second intervals and stirring well between each heating, until chocolate is melted. Drizzle melted chocolate over the treats in the pan.
5) Cool at room temperature until chocolate hardens. Once cool, lift treats out by the edges of the foil. Cut into squares and enjoy feeling like a kid again.