I’m going to make the assumption that you’re already well aware of my new found OBSESSION with speculoos. I think I went through a week when I couldn’t go one day without eating at least one spoonful of it! Now, I don’t think I have written about my mutual love for nutella, but let’s just say that if it was a question between speculoos or nutella, I would have a mighty hard time picking between the two. A few years ago, when I was on a ski trip, we were served little nutella packets each morning with breakfast that I would sneak into the pockets of my ski pants to eat as a snack on the slopes. I really hope the people behind speculoos are getting into the snack-size business, as carrying around a big glass bottle all the time seems quite impractical, then again, I would probably do it 😉
Another thing I love – peanut butter. Basically I think that everything should be into a spread! Can you imagine a Momofuku compost cookie in spread form? Wow, even just thinking about it makes my stomach grumble! But back to peanut butter – no joke, I eat it out of the jar just like my speculoos. Now a funny thing about France is that they don’t really eat peanut butter here. What’s up with that? I guess they’re not that big into PB&J here. After almost leaving empty handed from Monoprix last week after my hunt for peanut butter, lo and behold, I found it tucked into a corner on the top of the Asian food section! Odd placement, as I highly doubt peanut butter is more popular in Asia than in France, but hey, at least I found it!
So where is this all leading? Oh right, I found a recipe for peanut butter nutella cookies a few weeks ago that sounded just like my kind of heaven. As I was about to start up the recipe, I had a spoonful of speculoos in my mouth when I realized “wait, what about swapping out the peanut butter with speculoos? They have the same consistency, this should work.” Well, let’s just say this was one of my better successes when deciding to alter recipe ingredients. Quite honestly, it was a sure fire thing from the start: nutella + speculoos + even a little more butter = massive hit! Of course, I added more nutella than needed and decided to do the same with speculoos. These babies sure are soft before baked, so extra refrigeration is definitely needed. Next mission – peanut butter, speculoos and nutella all wrapped up in one! Someone might need to send me some more peanut butter if I want to head down that road…
Speculoos Nutella Cookies
(Adapted from Pass The Sushi)
- 1 3/4 cups AP flour
- 3/4 teas baking soda
- 1/4 teas salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup speculoos
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teas vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Nutella
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; Set aside.
3) In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the butter, speculoos and sugars until combined and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scarp down the sides to insure everything is mixed well.
4) Add the egg and vanilla and combine. Slowly add in the flour mixture until just combined. It will be a slightly crumble dry ball of dough. Fold in your Nutella without mixing in too much.
5) On a clean work surface, turn the dough and and for into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
6) Scoop tablespoon sized balls out onto the baking sheet and press with a fork. Sprinkle each with a dash of the sea salt.